There are other ways to increase metabolism apart from activity and food choices. Here are six great ones.
A study in the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism – 2003 Dec; 88(12):6015-9, found a glass of water could boost metabolism by 30% in both men and women. Part of this effect (40%) comes from the body needing to warm up the cold water. In this study, it wasn’t clear whether the effect related to overcoming dehydration.
Every chemical reaction in your body (including metabolism) needs water. We need it to deliver oxygen and nutrients to where our body needs them and to detoxify.
Dehydration makes you tired; it disrupts our oxygen levels, kidney and liver functions. Often we misinterpret thirst and hunger, causing us to overeat. It is often difficult to realize you are dehydrated, by the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated.
See also the article Drink Water to Lose Weight
- Create a drink water habit with mental rehearsal
- Overcome negative associations about drinking water with NLP anchoring techniques.
- You can use NLP Swish to associate water a more powerful you.
- What are your modal operators about water “I have to drink water” can make it a chore rather than a pleasure.
- Hypnosis Downloads MP3 – Drink More Water
- Hypnosis Downloads MP3 – Stop Drinking Soda
Get good quality sleep
One of the most serious sleep deprivation effects for weight – it drops metabolism by 10%. It increases our levels of hunger hormones (grehlin) and decreases the hormone that signals satiety (leptin).
Good quality sleep means includes the slow wave sleep we enjoy in the first couple of sleep cycles. This is the deep restorative sleep. Folk lore says the sleep you get before midnight is the most important; this is probably why.
Sleep deprivation also increases cortisol, which reduces testosterone (along with our ability to stay lean)
- Instant Hypnosis MP3 – Restorative Healing Sleep
- Instant Hypnosis MP3 – Beat Insomnia
- Hypnosis Download MP3 – Sleep like a Child
Chronic Stress increases cortisol and adrenaline, which in turn release blood fat, sugar and insulin. This potent cocktail lowers testosterone, decreases muscle mass and increases body fat – particularly belly fat.
Cortisol interferes with appetite control, while insulin is the fat storing hormone.
- Instant Hypnosis MP3 special stress bundle includes No More Stress, Relax in Seconds, No More Worries, Deep Relaxation.
- Hypnosis Downloads MP3 – Instant Stress Relief
Take acetyl l carnitine
Acetyl l carnitine is an amino acid needed to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria for generating energy. About 1,000 – 3,000mg is the suggested dosage.
- Many people have difficulty remembering to take supplements. Taking anything now and again gets miserable results. Create a good habit with mental rehearsal and anchoring techniques.
- Hypnosis Downloads – Remember to take Medication
Get plenty of oxygen
We need oxygen to generate most of our bodies energy needs (ATP). More oxygen from deep breathing, fresh air and moderate exercise improves metabolism.
The most powerful way to increase oxygen is increasing lung capacity. This is what fitness is all about. This is one of the most important benefits of aerobic exercise.
Our lung capacity decreases when we become unfit – running for the train becomes a marathon effort. Smoking and other kinds of pollution also decrease our ability to take in oxygen.
- Hypnosis Downloads MP3 – Walk More
- Instant Hypnosis MP3 – Quit Smoking Pack
Normalize your body temperature
It takes a lot of energy to heat our bodies to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37 degrees Celsius. Increasing your body temperature by 1-degree increases metabolism by 14%. When exercising we increase our body temperature while we are doing it and for a time afterwards.
Low body temperature is not always due to an underactive thyroid. This report suggests low body temperature is a symptom of a toxic system and suggests a program that includes increased fibre/pectin, probiotics, turmeric, ginger as well as plenty of exercise.